New Recipe - Delicious Bread, Low in Starch
The other day I posted a recipe for salad and can imagine that some of you want a little bit more. So this time you get a recipe for something very special – a bread made of nuts and seeds and a secret ingredient you maybe will not have heard before: it is psyllium seed husks, they hold the dough together. As it is not easy to get starch free bread neither at a supermarket and even not at a bakery shop let´s make it at home! You can find a tasty almost starch free bread here and my modified version below.
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- + extra sunflower, flax or sesame seeds for the crust
- ½ cup flax seeds
- ½ cup hazelnuts, walnuts and/or almonds
- 1 ½ cups buckwheat flour*
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 4 Tbsp psyllium seed husks
- 1 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 ½ cups water
- * you can mix it with oatmeal, quinoa or/and amaranth flour
- Put the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk oil and water in another bowl. Slowly add this to the dry ingredients. Combine and mix everything very well, until flour and seeds are completely soaked and the dough becomes sturdy and very thick.
- Put the dough into a pan (or form a loaf with your hands). Let it sit for at least 2 hours or overnight. To ensure the dough is ready, it should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it.
- Preheat oven to 175 – 180° C.
- Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, bake for 20 minutes. Remove the bread from the pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30 – 40 minutes.
- Slice the loaf and store the slices you do not need in the freezer. Once you want to eat bread, take the pieces out and toast them very well. The more toasted, the more crunchy and the more tasty!